Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

A Failed Experiment

Wednesday afternoon I was excited to try a new dish. I wanted to improve upon the "Lemon Mushrooms With Noodles" that I made on Sept. 26. The title to today's blog gives away what happened - it was indeed a failed experiment. I also did not get any photos because I had forgotten my camera at work.
Here was my idea: use angel hair pasta instead of the Chinese-style noodles, added sweet onion, and poppy seeds. I kept the mushrooms and lemon the same (except I grated instead of peeled it). So far, so really good. It smelled amazing while I sautéed the mushrooms and onions. The lemon peel and juice also made the whole kitchen smell wonderful. But here's where it went wrong... I read in a magazine earlier this week (won't say which one) to substitute butter with plain Greek yogurt in any recipe that called for butter. It would be healthier and taste better. Healthier was probably true, but not the taste! I am positive it was the Greek yogurt that ruined this dish. I only ate 2-3 bites before tossing it, and I really hate to waste food. I would only rate the new lemon mushroom noddle dish as a 2. I want to try it all again but use butter or maybe even sour cream or ricotta cheese.?
I was really frustrated because I hate to fail. And I should have listened to my gut, which told me not to use the yogurt, but I trusted the magazine instead of my intuition.
For someone who wants to run her own luncheon someday, I should not have created something so disgusting. But failure leads to success if I don't let it get me down and can learn from my mistakes. So I'll try again with a new idea for stuffed peppers this weekend. Wow, was I actually just positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment