Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

German Molasses, Oatmeal Drops, Rosenmunnar, & Snicker Doodle Cookies






















I went cookie crazy today! I was only going to make snicker doodles, but as I was glancing through my cookbook, I saw too many that looked interesting, so I decided to make 1/2 batches of 4 kinds of cookies. (I'm listing these in alphabetical order because I'm weird, but I did not make them in this order.) I've had the cookbook in the photo for a long time (probably 20 or more years). I think it may have been the first cookbook that was mine and not a family book. It was the first time I started putting ratings in the cookbook on items that I had made so I knew not to repeat a bad cookie recipe. Anyway, 2 of the cookies I have made before, and 2 were new.
I made: 1) German Molasses Cookies II - These are my favorite of the day and would definitely go in "The Little Red Cat" bakery. I give them a 10! They are chewy and sweet and really yummy. It was interesting because the recipe had me melt the butter, molasses, and brown sugar, then add to the dry ingredients. So when I formed them on the pan, they were warm and soft. They were supposed to be rolled out with a rolling pin, but because my counter space is so darn small, I hate to roll cookies out in such a tiny space, so I just pressed them flat on the cookie sheet.
2) Oatmeal Drops - When I first taste tested them, I gave them a 7. They were missing something. So, since I had added pure maple syrup to the recipe (my idea), I decide to drizzle the maple syrup on top and put them back in the oven. This really helped bumped them up to a 8 1/2. I made them a little too thick though. I can see by the last time I made them that I had rated them a 10. I'm guessing it was because they were flatter and crispier. That would definitely help. They are a little too thick, but they are moist and tasty. (the pure maple syrup came from my Aunt Paula's farm - they make & bottle their own)
3) Rosenmunnar - Never heard of these before, but they are a basic thumbprint cookie with only 4 ingredients. They called for raspberry jam, but I only had some freezer jam from one of my mom's friends (can't remember which one). I think it's plum, and it's pretty good. The cookies are so-so. I give them a 7 1/2. I had added some lemon juice at the last minute to make the dough less boring, and that helped, but still something missing. Maybe almond extract would be good, or some finely chopped nuts in the batter.
4) Snicker Doodles - A classic, I've made them lots of times before. I used to have a crush on a man at the college I worked at in the late 90's and he always loved my version, so I made them quite often to bring to work. I see I rated them a 10 in the past. Maybe I'm more picky now; I'd give them a 9 today. They are supposed to be rolled in cinnamon-sugar, but I have a pre-made mixture of cocoa-cinnamon-sugar (my invention), so I used that instead. They would be at the bakery on a rotating basis, but not all the time.
Anyway, that was my fun cookie-making day!

1 comment:

  1. Ian makes his own brown sugar by mixing unbleached organic granulated sugar and molasses. It really adds a richness. I love the idea of cocoa cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete