Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Rotini With Beans and Corn





I made the rotini about an hour ago.  It was pretty good, I give it an 8 1/2 (maybe even a low 9).  The author of this cook book obviously likes the vinegar taste.  The recipe did not call for vinegar this time, but Italian dressing, so technically...  I changed this one a bit, and I'm not saying this to be a pompous ass, but I think my small change made this dish much better than it would have been.  I couldn't find sun-dried tomatoes, so I used a can of diced tomatoes, and I'm sure that helped too.  Sun-dried tomatoes tend to be too oily.  The small/big change I made was that I decided to saute the veggies rather than just add them cold as the recipe suggests.  I first sauteed the onion with olive oil for a minute or two, then added garlic and a red pepper.  Cooked another 1-2 minutes, then I added the corn & 2 cans of beans (well drained).  Then I added the tomatoes with the sauce in the can, and then some basil (I decided not to add parsley).  (I had to take a photo in the frying pan because it looked so yummy.  Too bad I wasn't able to add smell to my blog!) I think cooking them all together helped meld their flavors together better.  Besides, who likes cold veggies in hot pasta?  My only changes are that I would have added 1 more pepper and some Parmesan cheese.  It would be good with garlic bread too.  I'm including 2 photos of the finished dish just because the first one is all steamy since the photo was taken hot.  I will make this one again.  It's a great cold weather dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment