Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blueberry Cornmeal Cake
















Yesterday I made "Blueberry Cornmeal Cake." What a disappointment! I ended up rating this one a 3! I am surprised this did not turn out. The batter was so good and amazing, I thought for certain it would be a 10! But I think the disaster was in the cooking. You can see by the 3rd and 4th photos one of the problems. It overflowed the pie plate and spilled batter all over the bottom of the stove. I had to turn off the stove, let it cool down (so I wouldn't have another kitchen fire), wipe down the stove, then put the cake back in. I'm not sure if that's what ruined the flavor. But then, after I put it back in, it never would cook through. Only the edges of the cake cooked, and the center remained raw. In the bottom photo, you can see it's mostly just the edges. I added a yogurt & honey topping (since both were in the recipe), and that's the only thing that saved this cake. I was going to try making it again, but I'm almost out of flour and I don't think I have enough corn meal left. Maybe the blueberries ruined it somehow, because, as I mentioned, the batter was very yummy. And I tasted a blueberry and I was pretty blah. But I wonder if the batter burning on the bottom of the stove somehow permeated the cake and ruined the flavor. I guess I'll never know. Maybe I'll try it again some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment