Search This Blog

Sunday, November 3, 2013

John Wayne Casserole










I made this for our lunch today.  I got this recipe from someone on Facebook (I don't remember who).  The pictures are horrible as far as presentation - it doesn't look as appetizing as it is.  Mel gave it a 10.  I gave it an 8 1/2, maybe 9.  I believe it would be a ten if I deleted the mayonnaise from the recipe as I did not care too much for the flavor of the mayo - or used a different type like the brand that has the olive oil in it.  Things I changed: I added fresh cilantro to the recipe.  It called for taco seasoning, but I had forgotten to buy it, so I used what spices I already had at home.  Also, I used canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh.  You're supposed to use dry biscuit mix blended with water as the base.  Well, Mel's was done right (I used garlic cheese biscuit mix) but I under estimated how much I needed & didn't buy enough.  So for mine I used  a can of butter flavored refrigerated biscuits I already had (I had only had 4 hours of sleep & didn't feel like driving to the store).  And I used 16 oz of sour cream (the whole tub) instead of just 4 oz. because it better covered the whole dish.  I added more cheese than it called for as well.  I made two pans and the difference between Mel's &  mine was that his had hamburger, jalapenos, and the above mentioned biscuits, and mine was made w/ veggie beef, no jalapenos and said mentioned biscuits.  I will make it again with taco seasoning & different type of mayo.   

No comments:

Post a Comment