Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Aztec Platter




I've been very curious about making a dish with the grain quinoa.  My co-worker Nicole has always said I should try it because it has the most protein of all the grains.  I was at Costco a few weekends ago stocking up on canned foods and saw a big bag of quinoa.  My mom bought it for me.  So then I got this cookbook out to find a yummy-sounding recipe.  I have more, but I'll have to look for them.  I had planned on sticking with this recipe as written except for substituting onion for scallions (since I had onion already) and skipping the olives (I don't like olives).  However, as I started sauteing the olive oil, and lemon juice, onion, garlic (oh yeah, I added garlic), and green pepper, I suddenly decided I wanted to saute all the veggies together so their flavor would mesh better.  So I added the corn, beans, and apple cider vinegar too.  You're supposed to make this in layers starting with the a quinoa-corn salad, then add the bean salad, and top w/ the seeds, olives, and pepper.  Obviously, I didn't do it that way.  I put just the quinoa first, then topped it w/ all the remaining ingredients, then put sunflower seeds on top (it calls for pumpkin seeds, but I couldn't find any).  It all blends together when you eat it anyway, right!  It's pretty good, an 8 or maybe 8 1/2.  The quinoa pretty much just tastes like rice to me.  I just mixed it all together in a container for leftovers, but then it seemed like there was too much quinoa, so I think I'll add a can of peas and black beans when I pull it out for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment