Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

Julie's Pasta, Cottage Cheese, & Fruit Salad




Our favorite restaurant is "Tucanos" http://www.tucanos.com/boise.html .  We only go there for special occasions as they are a little spendy for our budget.  However, we were there in July for Mel's birthday.  They have the most amazing make-your-own salad bar as well as a large selection of unique salads.  The last time we were there I tried a fruit and pasta salad that was so yummy I went back for seconds.  I knew it would be easy to make.  This is similar as we both used fruit & pasta, but that's where it ends.  Their salad was fresh fruit and those super mini round pasta noodles (not sure what they are called, some call them frog eyes).  My kitchen is super tiny and has no air conditioning, so the less I have to chop anything the better.  Therefore, I chose canned instead of fresh fruit.  Also, the pasta I chose was the smallest size available.  I used fresh lemon zest and the juice of 1 lemon (I didn't taste lemon in theirs) and at the last minute I added 1 tsp vanilla.  Because I should have only used half the box of pasta, it was not the right ratio of fruit and pasta, so I decided to add 2 small cartons of pineapple cottage cheese.  Wow!  This is sooooo good!  The vanilla and lemon really enhance the flavor.   I like this even better than Tucanos' salad.  The cottage cheese makes it super creamy and extra flavorful as well.   It is a definite 10 (Mel hates cottage cheese so he didn't have any).  I will absolutely make it again.  In fact, I think I will go have some leftovers for a midnight snack! 

No comments:

Post a Comment