Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2014

Lemon Custard Cake







This was our anniversary dessert!  I should change the title of this one as well.  I would change it to "Lemon-Coconut Cake With Fresh Fruit & Coconut Custard Filling, Topped With Coconut Whipped Cream & Fresh Fruit," but that's a bit of a ridiculous title!!  I kept the cake & custard recipe the same with the exception of adding coconut extract to both & a little cinnamon to the cake.  I decided to add strawberries & blueberries to the filling.  Also, neither Mel nor I like chocolate so I changed the topping to homemade whipped cream w/ the same fruits. I got the topping recipe from the back of the vanilla extract box - the only thing I changed was adding coconut extract.   I had intended on using more blueberries but managed to dump half the container on the floor!! 

The custard & the topping I give a 10, but the cake only gets an 8.  I  wish now I had used the white cake  recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook (I made it for Mel's b-day 2 years ago w/ a lemon filling & coconut topping.).  That was a much better cake.  This one was moist, but the flavor was not as good & for an anniversary cake, I really wanted to make a 10!  Live & learn!  I have some fun filling & topping ideas for Mel's b-day next month, & I will definitely stick with the Betty Crocker white cake recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment