Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2016

"The Ashley Inn" Strata (sort of)


 



As I mentioned a few blogs ago, I slipped on the ice outside of my job and seriously injured my back.  Due to that injury, I had to change jobs.  I was hired at my favorite hotel, "The Ashley Inn," as a night clerk.  Unfortunately, I had to leave them as well as it was even harder on my back, but one of my job duties was to make breakfast.  One of the items on the menu is "The Ashley Inn's" wonderful strata.  It is an easy recipe and I quickly memorized it so  I could make it at home.

I changed quite a few things, which is why I say it is "sort of" their recipe as I had to use whatever ingredients I had on hand.  First of all, instead of regular potatoes, I used French fries cut into bite-size pieces.  They use 8-12 eggs and milk, but I only had 4 so I was a bit short on that end - which created a problem for me when I cooked it since it would not solidify in the oven.  They are pretty creative there and use any number of combinations for their strata depending on the person making them, how many guests they have, etc.  I chose to make this one a combination of sausage patties, bacon (both meats cut into bite-size), cheddar cheese, and mixed veggies (onion, red pepper, potatoes, carrots, & peas).  I added my own seasonings.  As I mentioned, because I did not have enough eggs, it would not solidify.  Therefore, after 25 minutes in the oven, I finally decided to throw it into the skillet and cook the eggs that way. 

Mel really loved this dish and wants it again - he gave it a huge 10!  I even tried a bite and loved it! 

So, thank you to  "The Ashley Inn" for the idea.  And on a personal note, the staff at  "The Ashley Inn" are very nice people, especially the managers, Debbie & Warren Gunderson.  It is too bad I was too injured to work for them.  If you are ever in Cascade, ID, please give them your business.  Truly, it is our favorite place we have ever stayed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment